VERBOSITY BIT IS SET.  DISREGARD THIS POST IF IT DOES NOT APPLY
TO YOU.

A couple of thoughts on this issue.  First item is that I am
coming in late on this post, so some of my points may already
have been covered.  Here goes.

1.  The first thing I would do is break things down to their
simplest level.  Remove *all* of your line cards, except for
your RSP card.  You must ensure that the RSP is installed and
fully seated on the top slot as you are looking at the business
end of the router. Once you have done that, then attempt to
boot your router.

2.  As far as booting your router is concerned, I was a little
perplexed at your statement in your config below.  It indicated
that "System image file is "slot0:image.new"  What exactly
is "image.new"?  You need to find the original IOS that you
downloaded or bought with this router and attempt to boot from
that image.  Leave the image name intact, i.e. don't change the
image name.  For all I know (or can tell), the "image.new"
could be for a Cisco 7000 RSP or RP, which will not work for
your box.

3.  Once it boots, execute the following commands:

sh environment all  - It should read that "All Environmental
Measurements are within specifications".  If it does not, your
box has a problem with cooling or power.  If it is cooling out
of tolerance, see if the blowers are running. All six fans must
be operational in the fan tray assembly.  The router will
monitor for a bad fan (or one that is going bad).  If it is bad
or ready to fail, you will see this at the console:  %ENVM-2-
FAN: Fan array has failed, shutdown in 2 minutes.  Guess what
happens next :-) If electrical is out of whack, you may need a
new power supply.

sh boot - The only thing that should be present here is your
config register settings.  All other fields should be blank. If
not, then what are they set to, and are the settings
appropriate?

sh diagbus - Since you already removed your cards (except for
the one I mentioned, you should only have one slot reported.
What you are looking for is that the RSP is seen, the serial
number and part number are properly reported, and that the
microcode values match those found on "show microcode".  Most
importantly, it should indicate in the flags field that the
item is a 7500 board.  If it is a 7000 board, you have the
wrong RP.

sh flash - Do you have a valid flash image for this router and
is it corrupted?  See my previous comment on image names.

sh proc cpu - Look at the very first line of the output.  Does
it read like my 7000 router:

CPU utilization for five seconds: 2%/2%; one minute: 4%; five
minutes: 4%

If you have very high values here, something is tasking your
CPU.  You need to find out what that might be.  Are you sure
that you have sufficient RAM for your box?  The minimum for an
RSP is 32MB.  64MB is better and 128MB will have it running
fine.  If you have only 16MB, it's a wonder it will boot.

sh proc mem - look for the first line of output.  How much free
memory do you have?  If this value is in the KB range instead
of the MB range, that may be part of your problem, namely you
may be starving the router for RAM.

sh reload - This output should read exactly as follows:

No reload is scheduled.

If it reads anything other than what is listed above, find out
why.

Once (and if) the router runs normally with only the RSP
installed, then install your line cards one at a time.  Cold
reboot the router with each new line card and once it settles
down, retype each of these commands and note what changes:

sh environment all
sh diagbus
sh proc mem
sh proc cpu

You should not see a major change in either of the "show proc
cpu" or "sh proc mem" commands.  The "show environ all" command
should also be within tolerance and "sh diagbus" should pick up
each of the new line cards as the box gets rebooted.
Additionally, you may also want to check "show ver" to ensure
that all newly added line cards/modules are properly reported
there as well.  When you install your VIP2, install it first
without any of the modules installed.  If you put the FastE
controller on and you notice that the router barfs on it, that
may be an indicator that the VIP2 is good, but the FastE
controller is bad.

One thing I failed to mention early on is that you need to have
all of your logging ported over to a syslog server and not your
console.  In the event that it is ready to do a commanded boot,
you will have a log that this occurred.  Also, make sure you
turn on the following command:

service timestamps log datetime localtime

Additionally, it *may* be useful to configure the router for
sending a core dump.  Here are the following commands:

exception protocol tftp

exception core-file Crash (Crash is the name assigned to the
file)

exception dump x.x.x.x  (x.x.x.x) is the TFTP server IP address

exception memory min 1000000  (will start a core dump when
memory is set to drop below 1MB)

Keep in mind, a core dump is not useful to you, but it may help
TAC diagnose the problem.

Finally, if you cannot isolate the source of the problem after
all of the items I have mentioned, then it is *remotely*
possible that you may have a bad chassis/backplane.  Although
backplanes and chassis interfaces rarely fail, it is possible.
In certain locations in SWA, this happened rather frequently
due to dust infiltration and operator error.

HTH,

Paul Werner

> Subject: RE: 7505 Reboots randomly Please HELP
>
> Hello everyone:
>
> Thanks everyone for reply this post.
> Cisco tells us it's solid IOS we are running so it's
> not IOS issue. They also sent RSP card and flash card
> but did not help at all. This is what I get after every
> reboot.
> Thank you..
>
> Inamul
>
> 7505-A>show ver
> Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-JSV-M), Version 12.0(7)T,  RELEASE
SOFTWARE
> (fc2)
> Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Mon 06-Dec-99 19:40 by phanguye
> Image text-base: 0x60010908, data-base: 0x61356000
>
> ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.3.2(3.2) [kmac 3.2],
MAINTENANCE
> INTERIM
> SOFTWA
> RE
> BOOTFLASH: GS Software (RSP-BOOT-M), Version 11.1(10)CA, EARLY
> DEPLOYMENT
> RELEAS
> E SOFTWARE (fc1)
>
> 7505-A uptime is 2 minutes
> System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC
0x602DE884
> System image file is "slot0:image.new"
>
> cisco RSP1 (R4700) processor with 32768K/2072K bytes of
memory.
> R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
> Last reset from power-on
> G.703/E1 software, Version 1.0.
> G.703/JT2 software, Version 1.0.
> X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
> SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology
Corp).
> Bridging software.
> TN3270 Emulation software.
> Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
> Chassis Interface.
> 1 MIP controller (2 T1).
> 1 VIP2 controller (1 FastEthernet).
> 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
> 24 Serial network interface(s)
> 2 Channelized T1/PRI port(s)
> 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
>
> 20480K bytes of Flash PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size
128K).
> 16384K bytes of Flash PCMCIA card at slot 1 (Sector size
128K).