I would actually like to disagree, the reason for specifying the interface here is
not so that you can save time, but so that you don't create routing loops.  When an
interface is used with the 'ip route' command, the route is then reliant on the
availability of this interface.  Then, if you were to say, as Cory has done,
specified an ip route for 0.0.0.0 out eth 0, if you kill eth 0, the router will
try to reach 0.0.0.0 some other way.  Also, this command applies to redistribution. If
you are running IGRP and specify an interface, the route will get redistributed even
if you don't have static redistribution on.  Here is some cco information on it:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112cg_cr/5rbook/5riprout.htm#xtocid9599104

 -Ben Smith