The sending station will use the first arp reply that it receives as it's
destination MAC address.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 12:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ip route question

If you point a static route toward an ethernet interface, what is the
next-hop MAC address?  Does it broadcast those packets in hopes that there
is actually a router on that network that might be able to forward them?

And what would happen if there were two routers on a hub hanging off of that
interface?  Would they both attempt to route the packet, resulting in a
duplication of the packet?  If so, that could allow some pretty interesting
scenarios.

John

>  Nope. In the Cisco world, anyway, you can point a static route out a
>  physical interface, out a logical interface, out a null interface, or to
any
>  network that appears in your routing table. Neat, isn't it!
>
>  Chuck
Behalf Of