I thought I'd throw my $.02 in here.  I have seen two or three situations
here in our network where we had missing CDP neighbors.  Our entire network
is point-to-point frame relay using subinterfaces.  Take the following
layout:

RouterA <---> RouterB <---> RouterC

RouterB has a single interface with two frame relay subinterfaces connecting
to A and C.  In our case, with CDP, A could see B, B could see C, but B
could not see A.  We never figured out what the problem was. "show cdp int"
seemed to show no problems, as well as "debug cdp <whatever>".

Originally, A was running 11.2(17) while B and C were running 11.2(18).  A
is now running 12.1(5a) and this has made no difference, I just checked.

>  Hmm, strange thing. All is OK with 12.1.5.
>
>  Router4#sh cdp int
>  Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
>    Encapsulation ARPA
>    Sending CDP packets every 60 seconds
>    Holdtime is 180 seconds
>  Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up
>    Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY
>    Sending CDP packets every 60 seconds
>    Holdtime is 180 seconds
>  Ethernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
>    Encapsulation ARPA
>    Sending CDP packets every 60 seconds
>    Holdtime is 180 seconds
>  Router4#sh cdp n
>  Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
>                    S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater
>
>  Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port
>  ID
>  sw               Eth 0/1            140         T S       1900      6
>  sw               Eth 0/0            140         T S       1900      4
>  Router3          Ser 0/0            140          R        2610      Ser
>  0/2
>
>  Frame Encapsulation is cisco.
>
>  Chuck Larrieu wrote:
>  >
>  > I got to wondering about this.
>  >
>  > I am working on a frame relay troubleshooting lab, and I have a
situation in
>  > my lab where I am seeing all my routes as I expect. In other words, I
>  > believe I have solved the frame relay problem. However, in using that
pod to
>  > check this CDP issue I find that CDP neighbors are indeed not showing
up. I
>  > manually enabled CDP on all interfaces, and also ran CDP run in the
root
>  > config menu. The debugs are indicating an encapsulation failure.
>  >
>  > As I said, all my routes are there and I have full ping ability from
end to
>  > end. But no CDP.
>  >
>  > Interesting.