Nearly every time I have dealt with TAC they have asked if there was
remote access so they could get into the routers and look around on
their own.
After a couple times of doing this I started configuring separate logins
and one-time passwords just for TAC, and only when needed. Granted this
doesn't stop the clear text mode of Telnet, but with the combination of
encrypted passwords I think it was adequate for what that company was
trying to secure.

Jim