From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
dre
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 10:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT (sort of) TAC Horror Stories

Bob Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just curious about other peoples experiences with TAC on products "gone
> bad"...

> 1) Get call while almost in bed at 9:30 PM
> 2) 3548XL GigE interface goes down...

The problem here was that you are using 3548XL switches...
if you were using a modular chassis with redundant
everything (i.e. 6500 w/ dual PSs, SUPs, et al), you
probably wouldn't be worried about your 3548XL.  Not
to mention that the MTBF numbers on the XL series
suck in comparison to the 6000/6500.

> I was lucky as the first unit worked (though it's fan did not) and did not
> over heat (mainly due to it's location)... Had there been cooling problems
> would have yanked a fan off one of the other units (though as the part was
> not a "service item" TAC did not support such creativeness)..
> Just curious as to what anyone elses TAC horror stories have been like?

I've personally never experienced any problems with the TAC.
It is often that I get a front line person that has no idea
what I'm talking about, and sometimes they try to help anyways,
but after I explain to them that I would like it escalated,
they do it.  Good team of people, IMHO.  Best tech-support ever.

It sounds like your problems were not even TAC related, more
like shipping and receiving problems (UPS, anyone?).  So be
more careful when trying to pin the blame on a tech-support
department, especially the Cisco Technical Assistence Center.
They were doing their jobs just fine.

-dre