Yes, it's definitely worth mentioning that SLARP can be a pain, especially
in a lab environment or training classroom. You connect two routers
together over a serial back-to-back cable. Turn on one router and configure
the IP address and subnet mask. Turn on the other router, and if you're not
quick, the darn thing will SLARP. Then it sits there forever (seems like
forever at least), doing reverse DNS to find its name, and trying to find a
TFTP server to download the rest of its config. To make matters worse it
puts the "service config" command in the config file, which causes it to
look for a server every time you reboot (if you save the config).

A few times a month we get the question about the router looking for its
config from a server. The answers always say to add "no service config" to
your config, but the answers don't explain how the annoying "service
config" line got in your config to start with. It's probably that slippery
SLARP.

To be totally accurate, it's AutoInstall that does this, but that's not s
fun to say. &;-) SLARP is one component of AutoInstall in an HDLC
environment. AutoInstall can also work with Frame Relay, Ethernet, Token
Ring, and FDDI, according to the doc here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/fun_c/fcprt1/fccfgtoo.htm

Thanks for the great ideas on making TCP more relevant to my students,
Marty. Offline, if you get a chance, could you tell me more about tweaking
your TCP stack on Windows? Thanks.

Priscilla