From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 10:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Creating Multiple Interfaces on an Ethernet Port

At 04:47 PM 2/19/01, Chris Wornell wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've found out you can't create multiple interfaces on an ethernet port
>apparently.  I was wondering why this is exactly?  I know you can
accomplish
>the same on serial lines using pvc's but it seems odd you can't do it
on
>ethernet.

Why do you want to create multiple interfaces on your Ethernet port?
Ethernet was designed as a connectionless, packet-switched shared
network.
Serial links, on the other hand, are more often used for
connection-oriented virtual circuits. Subinterfaces let you associate a
single physical link with multiple virtual circuits.

>   I know there are ethernet only networks and the ip secondary
>command doesn't seem right compared to creating a new interface.

Sure there are Ethernet-only networks. Each physical Ethernet port on a
router is usually associated with an IP subnet. If you happen to have
two
IP subnets on the LAN to which a physical port is attached, you could
use a
secondary IP address as a workaround to this problem. Traffic between
subnets would still go through the router usually.

If you're using your Ethernet port as a "trunk port," and you use ISL or
802.1q VLAN encapsulation, then you can configure subinterfaces. In this
case, subinterfaces let you associate a single physical link with
multiple
VLANs. Inter-Switch Link (ISL) and IEEE 802.1q maintain VLAN
identification
information as traffic travels between connected switches.

Maybe you can give us a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish
and we can provide more tailored information, but I hope this info was
somewhat useful.

Priscilla