the only way you can create sub interfaces on ethernet is to use dot1q or
ISL encapsulation on a FastEthernet interface (VLANs)

brian

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Chris Wornell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've found out you can't create multiple interfaces on an ethernet port
> apparently.  I was wondering why this is exactly?  I know you can accomplish
> the same on serial lines using pvc's but it seems odd you can't do it on
> ethernet.  I know there are ethernet only networks and the ip secondary
> command doesn't seem right compared to creating a new interface.
>
> Chris Wornell
> Technical Support
> MM Internet http://mminternet.com
> 888-654-4971
> CCNA, CCDA, CSE

          I'm buying used CISCO gear!!
              email me for a quote

Brian Feeny                 e:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP+Voice/ATM/Security     p:318.222.2638x109
CCDP                        f:318.221.6612
Network Administrator
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)