>Brian wisely observed,

>You have to test it.......no matter what.  Thats like having a "Tape
>backup" system, but never actually trying to do a restore until you *have*
>to.

In the great tradition of sea stories, "Hey, this really happened!"

A couple of years ago, I had a consulting client that INSISTED on
reliable Internet connectivity. So, we implemented dual BGP routers,
one to AT&T and one to a local provider, and made sure the AT&T links
were provisioned over dual SONET.

I had done most of this design offsite.  When I finally visited the
computer room, I discovered one server.  When, rather shocked, I
asked what happened if the server failed, I was told they had a tape
backup.  When I continued probing, and asked to what server they
would restore the tape backup, shocked looks broke out.

Incidentally, tape backup, for large transaction processing systems,
is increasingly being regarded as a secondary or legacy method.
Given the decreasing cost of mirrored disks, and the increasing
amount of time it takes to restore from a (serial) tape backup, the
restoral time with tape backup alone is unacceptable.  What is
increasingly comon is to implement the database either with a doubly
or (preferably) triply redundant RAID server, or across backup
datacenters.

In the event of failure, the database fails over to a backup disk
system. With triple redundancy, that still gives you a backup while
maintenance is performed on the failed server.  Tape is reasonable
for restoring the failed system once it has been repaired.  After
repair, the previously failed system usually becomes a backup, rather
than taking over from the current primary server.