Hi,

I am often amused by people that design sytems to work and test them to work. Why?  At
least test them to see if they fail to work.

In a place I worked they had an UPS.  This was to supply a backup for the entire
computer room and state wide connumcations centre.  Every other month they would come
in and check the batteries test they were fine etc.  One day the power to the building
broke and so did the entire network.  The UPS sat there and did nothing.  It never
failed.  Guess what?  Nobody had ever plugged the computer room power into the UPS.
Nobody had ever shut down the computer room power to test it.  After all you did not
want to tempt fate and we designed it to work.

Just a thought on why you should always test not only to see if something works but
also attempt to break it under trial conditions.

This is where age and experience creeps in.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

www.tasmail.com