I use floating statics to test backup non-disruptively, but then I use
floating statics to initiate the backup as well, so I'm not sure whether
this technique will work if you're using the dial backup command to
initiate your backup.  But for what it's worth...

Choose a network address that is not known in your network (and that your
users don't need access to for the period of the test, because this test
will disrupt access to this).  This will obviously depend on your
particular network.  You could make it a host address if you want.
Create a floating static route to that network, pointing to your backup
interface (dialer interface or whatever you're using).
E.g. ip route x.y.z.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1 250
Make sure that ping traffic to that network is classified as interesting
traffic for your backup interface.
Ping an address on that network.
The ping will fail, because (presumably) the router at the other end
doesn't know where to send the ping, but it should raise your backup link.
Remove the static route after testing.

This is not a complete test.  It does test physical connectivity (in my
experience, the main problem with backup links is a telco problem that
isn't picked up because the link is never used), but it doesn't test
correct routing.

Be aware that depending on your exact setup, this may be disruptive.  For
example, if for some reason traffic prefers the backup link once it's up,
you could have unexpected traffic flows.  If you redistribute static routes
into a routing protocol on that router, (false) knowledge of your 'test'
network may suddenly appear all over the place.

Use with caution and knowledge of *your* network, and don't blame me if you
break something :-)

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 26/02/2001

"Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 23/02/2001 02:13:35 pm

Please respond to "Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]