On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Keith Townsend wrote:

> I have a customer who wants to upgrade his 128K ISDN point to point
> connections to at lease a 10mbps connection.  He is thinking along the lines
> of LAN technologies.  He idea connection is a 1gb connection.  How would go
> about explaining to this guy that he is out of his mind without damaging his
> ego.  His the IT manager and thinks he's knowledgeable about networks.

Actually, there are several companies that claim to offer connectivity
from 1Mbps up to 1Gbps delivered via ethernet.  Cogent Communications is
one such company, at http://www.cogentco.com/.  I don't know if they're
actually selling service and I have my doubts about their claims.

Another company is Yipes, at http://www.yipes.com/, offering scalable
bandwidth from 1Mbps to 1Gbps.  They seem to have a decent business plan
and a reasonable infrastructure, but again, I can't speak for their actual
service.

This doesn't address any other misconceptions that your client may have
regarding WAN bandwidth, but there you go.

Ben