>I have a customer who wants to upgrade his 128K ISDN point to point
>connections to at lease a 10mbps connection.  He is thinking along the lines
>of LAN technologies.  He idea connection is a 1gb connection.  How would go
>about explaining to this guy that he is out of his mind without damaging his
>ego.  His the IT manager and thinks he's knowledgeable about networks.

I wouldn't say he is totally out of his mind, if he's in a geographic
area served by one of the bleeding edge Optical Ethernet providers.
Very rare so far, but there are 100 or 1000 Mbps physical facilities
over which the user pays for the amount of bandwidth he needs.  Most
of the ones I'm aware of are in Europe.

In the vast majority of locations, he is out of his mind.  Assuming
he needs 10 Mbps, your choices include inverse multiplexed T1 and
ATM, fractional T3, or 10 Mbps over OC-3 facilities. I had a design
not too long ago where we were able to bring in some of the voice as
well, and found that OC-3 was quite cost-effective.  It ran into a
7200.  A 3600 is probably the lowest end router to consider.

\