At 01:52 PM 3/15/01, Eric Waguespack wrote:
>does anyone have any links to documentation comparing
>the two? or opinions / personal experience to draw
>from?
>
>i really dig the idea of yanking an nt dhcp server out
>and replacing it with a 2600/3500 ios router running
>dhcp

That seems risky to me. A 2600 router has a 68000 CPU of some sort (I
think). The same CPU on old Macintoshes. It doesn't have a whole lot of
memory. And most importantly it's optimized to do one job: routing. Routing
is mission-critical. I wouldn't want to take away resources from that
essential job.

An NT server could be installed on a machine with 512 MB of memory, a 1 GHz
P4 processor, a speedy and large hard drive, etc.

Since DHCP is mission critical to most networks, I would want it running on
a high-performance system that isn't also doing routing.

Priscilla