I am no fan of NT, but I would choose NT over a router in almost all
circumstances.

I did have a customer who had a problem with Novell DHCP over the WAN. Win9x
users would get "Access Denied" when they tried to release/renew with
Winipcfg. I finally worked around with using DHCP on the router.

If all you need to do is hand out addresses, I would not be concerned with
using the router as DHCP. Our company is experimenting in house with Ip
phones that require DHCP to hand out TFTP server addresses as well as some
non-standard DHCP options. When I configured the routers as DHCP, I don't
recall being able configure all the DHCP options that are available on NT
DHCP nor being able to define options, but I didn't specifically look for
that either.

NT DHCP is easier to manage, the GUI helps here. I would also argue that if
you consider DHCP to be a critical service where an hour or 2 of downtime is
very bad, NT probably is not the NOS that you want to use, and that IOS
would be a better choice.

I would not concern myself with router performance while acting as a DHCP.

Scott Meyer
CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, etc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]