1.  DHCP service has a VERY low processor utilization.  All it does is sits
idle until it has to reply to requests for IP addresses and then issues
leases.  The shorter the lease time, the busier the service becomes.  However,
it IS a very vital service, needs to be reliable, and is very difficult to
"back up", so high-reliability hardware is a nice thing to have with DHCP, and
often, high-reliability goes hand-in-hand with high performance.  (Have you
ever had to replace a DHCP server in the production environment of a large
enterprise?  Duplicate IP addresses can create a really big ugly mess with the
users)  In an enterprise enviroment, infrastructure engineers (sometimes the
NetEng's in association with a sysadmin) administer the DHCP server(s).  Many
corporations put DHCP on their Primary Domain Controller not for the
processing power, but for the reliability of that specific NT host.

2.  A computer does NOT universally lose its lease when it is rebooted.
Rather, it makes a DHCP request.  If it does not receive a reply to its
request, it does one of a number of things, depending on the TCP/IP stack
implementation:
  a.  makes another request (common of the Microsoft TCP/IP stack)
  b.  keeps it's last IP address if the lease was still valid (I've seen
laptop computers/PCMCIA cards do this)
  c.  gets an autoconfiguration address (I've seen Win98 do this)
  d.  takes no ip address (I've seen NT4.0 do this)

3.  DHCP is carried by UDP protocol, so it does not use "ACKs and all that
jazz".  The client issues a broadcast message and receives the reply packet
from the DHCP server containing IP address, default gateway address, DNS
server address(es) from the DHCP server.

4.  In small office remote environments, I've implemented a router (actually,
router/terminal server) as the DHCP server, especially when the alternative is
to keep a computer powered on 24x7 in a foreign country.  The only challenge
there is the lack of address management tools when the router is serving the
IP addresses (the tools may have improved since IOS 11.1, though...).  Chances
are, the router will stay up (higher MTBF) longer than any computer, and is
less likely to be powered off or rebooted.