The serial ports will 'see' each other, but if you're configuring the hub
router as a frame relay switch you are no longer routing IP through the
router, you are switching frame relay frames from one interface to the
other.  In that scenario, an IP routing protocol is unnecessary because you
are not doing IP routing.

The router is switching frames based on DLCI, so this is a layer-2 function.
It is no more concerned with IP addresses than a provider's frame relay
switch in a real frame relay cloud.  They forward frames based on layer two
information only.

I know I keep repeating the same concept, but I just woke up and can't form
thoughts very well.  <g>

HTH,
John

>  What does that mean?  I thought 2 serial ports should see each other
because
>  they are local...
>

>  "EA LOUIE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>  > "John Neiberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > If you're using that router as just a frame relay switch and nothing
>  > > else, there's no reason to run a routing protocol because it won't be
>  > > routing!
>  >
>  > well, it WILL be routing, but not IP...frame-relay using static DLCI
>  routes.
>  > Actually, is there a way to configure dynamic frame-relay routing?
Like
>  for
>  > frame-relay SVC's?  Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!
>  >
>  > ;-)
>  >
>  > (guess you didn't go golfing, eh John?  neither did I...)
>  >
>  > -e-
>  >
>  > >
>  > > HTH,
>  > > John
>  > >
>  > > >>> "Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/30/01 4:31:22 PM >>>
>  > > Hi All - I am setting my 2501 as a frame-relay switch.  Its 2 serial
>  > > ports
>  > > will be set as DCE for providing clock.  Since I am trying to test
the
>  > > compatiability of between IGRP and EIGRP, does it matter if I don't
run
>  > > any
>  > > protocol (such as RIP, IGRP, EIGRP...) on this 2501?  Thanks All!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1