>B J wrote:
>>
>>    The CCNA is far harder than any test one will encounter with a major  in
>>  Education, Anthropology, History, Business Management, etc.  Do you really
>>  think the dumbest CCNA isn't more knowledgable in many areas, one being
>>  math, than your daughters first grade teacher?
>
>Why do so many people feel that comparing apples to oranges will
>strengthen their point?  Anthropology has nothing to do with
>networking, and knowlege of one has nothing to do with knowlege of
>the other.

Personally, I've found anthropology to be incredibly useful in
understanding the corporate environments in which I do networking.
Indeed, I'm about to be running an internal seminar program at Nortel
that draws a good deal, in its instructional design, to tribal
rituals. "Come to me, grasshoppers, and learn the Secrets of the
Inner BGP Circles that aren't in RFC 1771."

>And Its been a while, but I don't really remember any
>math problems on my CCNA test, unless you consider subnetting to
>be a real mathmatical challenge.

At the CCNA level, no. At more and more advanced level, statistical,
and indeed abstract algebra (as in error-correcting codes) becomes
useful.  Any deep understanding of routing protocols will involve
formalism in data structures, automata theory, etc.

>>    Bottom line:  Remember this: As long as HR employees are hired because
>>  they are great looking babes, they will have no clue on talent.  Certs give
>>  them something tangible and simple that they can understand. Degrees do the
>>  same.
>
>Oh, I see now.  You are a schmuck.

Hmmm...all too much of _my_ HR experience has been with Catbert clones.