I'm surprised you are still using DECnet!? ;-) My DECnet knowledge is
rusty, but here's what I remember from Sniffing DECnet networks:

There are many hello protocol data units that are sent to data-link-layer
multicast addresses. Routers send hellos to each other and at least one
router per data link sends hellos to all end nodes. End nodes also send
hellos to all routers so the routers learn who is on their networks.

All these hellos make DECnet pretty easy to manage and reconfigure. I don't
think you'll have to do anything at the end nodes.

Many of the "legacy" protocols handled issues such as this better than the
IP protocol family we are stuck with.

Priscilla