David,
   I don't know enough about Decnet to help you but be
wary when sniffing that the MAC address that the
sniffer picks up is different than what you would
expect. Decnet uses an algorithm to convert the "real"
MAC address to another.

Also I seem to remember a lot of munticasting takes
place 1st bytes being 0xAA and 0xAB.

Regards,

Phil.

--- "Hennen, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Hi, I'm wondering how a decnet node finds the
> gateway off the local area?
>
> Example, area is 2, router decnet address is 2.1000.
>  The decnet address on
> the router is changed to 2.1010.  Do the nodes,
> Alpha box with 2.17 address
> for example, figure it out on there own by
> listening, does the router
> advertise that it's the gateway to other areas, or
> do the nodes require
> configuration for the change?
>
> I'm going to be moving a couple of routers running
> decnet as well as IP and
> would like to avoid problems.  I've looked at a few
> links on cisco.com and
> it sounds like the router makes some type of
> advertisement (hello) but I'd
> like to be sure.
>
> thanks if you can help
> dave h