>On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
>
>>  Oh, indeed.  Also, does anyone remember the interesting interactions
>>  that would take place when the following conditions applied:
>>
>>      1.  The router ran DECnet
>>      2.  The router ran IPX
>>      3.  The router only had serial interfaces
>>
>>  and you didn't get the configuration JUST right?
>
>Aiyeeeeeeeee! *runs away screaming* (Haven't run that specific combo,
>but I can easily imagine the mess it can be, from configuring X25 IPX
>routing the obvious way. Oh, and TR interfaces on some models (AGS+?),
>or perhaps some software versions, that would reset when configuring
>IPX on them.)

You've probably figured out the issue, but for general information:

1.  DECnet, when configured and the router is rebooted, ALWAYS
     starts first and changes ALL MAC adddresses to its algorithmic
     prediction.

2.  IPX (and XNS for that matter, and Banyan under certain circumstances)
     rely on the availability of a MAC address to create the low-order part
     of their node addresses.

3.  If there was at least one physical LAN interface, that became the
     source of the MAC address.  Otherwise, you had to configure a MAC
     address in the XXX routing command.

     If this pseudo-MAC address didn't match the one that DECnet would
     have created, either DECnet would break or the non-DECnet protocol
     would break.

The situation is even worse when DECnet is adde to the
configuratation after one of the MAC-less workgroup protocols already
is present.

>Howard, you and I must get together sometime and trade lies and horror
>stories.

where are you, anyway?

Clearly!