On Wed, 9 May 2001, Brett Johnson wrote:

> Ok with 'Portable' IP address space it would be easy, but how about
> with Provider provided.  If we changed the ISP that doesn't provide
> the space?

Usually they will let you announce for 30-90 days......just depends, to
help facilitate the move.  Thats just courtesy but not a right.

Worst case you have to renumber.

What alot of ISP's will do, is renumber the core multihomed, and use
address translation outbound.  So the servers have the old and new IP's
(or their is a translator doing the translation).  This effectivly
blackholes the space if it were to be re-assigned, but sometimes its the
only practical reasoning.

For example, a 100,000 user ISP has 100,000 users with 100.100.100.1 as
their nameserver IP.  So that company switches transit providers and
loses the provider IP space assigned to them.  So they simply take
incoming requests from users to 100.100.100.1 and translate to the new
200.200.200.1 for example, and the customers know no better.  You can do
this inside your network.

Brian

If
> so, you won't have too much difficulty changing ISP. In Europe, you have to
> update the RIPE database with your routing policy details.
>
> CM

We have MOVED!! Make note of our new address!!!

    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny,CCDP,CCNP+VAS Scarlett Parria
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
318-213-4709              318-213-4701

Netjam, LLC               http://www.netjam.net
333 Texas St.             VISA/MC/AMEX/COD
Suite 1401                30 day warranty
Shreveport, LA 71101      Cisco Channel Partner
p: 318-212-0245
f: 318-212-0246