"Brian" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Brett Johnson wrote:
>
> > If I acquire an AS number and use it with two providers what happens if
in
> > year or two
> > I decided to change one of the providers.  Do I have to inform ARIN or
> > acquire a new AS
> > number?  What would be the process of informing the Internet (through
BGP)
> > when changing
> > the ISP?  How about if I added a third ISP instead of changing ISPs?
>
> The AS is yours forever.
>
> You do not inform the Internet, you simply drop the one transit provider,
> and bring a BGP session up with the new one..........

oh yes you do - you'd better get your routing policy registered with the
appropriate registry, else ain't no way the Tier-1s are going to accept your
routes.

As a matter of security the big ISPs (and the clueful smaller ones) build
prefix filters based on your registered routing policy from e various
registries - ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc. based on scripts run against the whois
databases.

> If you add a third transit AS, then you just bring up a session, then when
> you announce via that new provider everyone will be aware it is a path to
> you.  BGP is quite simple as far as making changes and adds like that.

true to an extent - you canannounce what you like, where you like, but don't
expect anything like global routability if you haven't got that routing
policy sorted.