At 05:58 PM 5/10/01 -0400, Roger Sohn wrote:
>I think most people don't understand that if you do work for Cisco,
>employees are required to score 10 or 15% higher than the regular passing
>score.  And that also goes for the CCIE Lab exam as well as the other CCxx
>tests.
>
>Cisco also only allows 2 free lab attempts, and anything after that you have
>to pay for the entire amount that everyone else pays.

Not sure on the 10-15% higher bit, it might be true.  Although, some have
suspected some leniency given to Cisco employees, but I cannot verify this
rumor.

Actually, (2 free tries) that was recently changed.  It used to be
unlimited tries for Cisco employees, and the policy changed since Cisco
realized that their own employees had the highest % failure rate.  Not due
to lack of skill, but from an "attrition" kind of attitude.

That would somewhat debunk Q's belief that just because you work at Cisco
the CCIE and "friends" are not "that hard."  The CCIE requires you to know
a tremendous amount of information (referencing the Routing and Switching
track).

I will admit, getting the CCIE probably should not be heralded as a feat
beyond say acquiring a PHD, but I do not think it is nearly as trivial as Q
is making it out to be.  Most if not all the CCIEs I have run into know
their stuff at least in the networking realm.  If they know beyond that
scope, it's more power to them, but I would not expect them to know more
than what they hired for, which is master of the networks (spanning from
ATM to DLSW+).  Learning other vendors equipment should also not be such a
difficult feat, the human ability to learn is incredible, and if someone
can get the CCIE within a reasonable amount of time, learning other
vendor's product should not be that difficult.  (like a programming
learning another language, it's mainly syntax, theory and algorithms are
the same).

All in all though, I see no reason to go bashing on anyone who has
successfully procured a CCIE certification.  It certainly is not a bookworm
exam (try taking the lab, the written is by no means, ANY serious sign of
qualification for the CCIE, it's a filter, like freshmen year of
college).  If he is just really good at short term cramming (even for the
lab, which I really do not see how, but I will assume it is somewhat
possible), it will catch up to him in time.  If he is really good at
retaining the knowledge and applying it, more kudos to him as the program
worked.  After all the trouble they went through, lets give them the
benefit of the doubt and say they are the latter.

-Carroll Kong