On Wed, 16 May 2001, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

|+On the bright side, your reliability is still 255/255, which makes sense
|+since only 597 out of 530182 frames have an input error. The ratio of bad
|+frames to good frames is 0.001, which is OK.

One way to look at it. :)

|+Is it copper cabling? Could there be electrical noise causing the errors?
|+Is this server in a different location than the others? Did swapping the
|+NIC reduce the rate? Perhaps the NIC outputs bad frames every so often.
|+Please let us know what you find out. It will help us learn, though I
think
|+the "bottom line" answer is that you shouldn't worry about this low level
|+of errors.

Yes standard TP. Server is located same rack as the others. One fellow
from this group if I may mention him, as the last message was CC'd to the
list: Brad McConnell mentioned he had some Linux machines with Intel
EtherExpress cards connected to a 6509 switch. When he hard set the port
on the card and the switch he saw errors as well. Soon as he Auto'd both
the switch and the card in the computer all was well.

As these are the same card but running under BSD/OS, I set a port to Auto
on the switch, made sure the card was set to auto and moved the computer
to that port, took about 15 secs but they autoed to 100/full.

That was about a half hour ago and so far no errors:

     103937 packets input, 42817903 bytes
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast
     99082 packets output, 39561280 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

Generally I would start seeing input errors within the first couple of
megs of data. Looks like there might be issues with the driver for this
card under BSD/OS and having the switch side pegged to 100/full and the
card set to auto.

Leave it be for now and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.
Keith