I'd agree there is nothing to gain, either for people who are
writers/advanced support (as Halabi was -- he no longer works for
Cisco), or are development engineers. The skills tested for in CCIE
aren't all that relevant to what developers do. The skills tested for
in CCIE don't have much to do with how clearly someone can explain a
topic.

I don't know Cisco's internal incentives programs, but I would
strongly suspect that writing RFCs, having patents awarded, or
generally being recognized as an industry expert is far more
important than a certification.

As far as the value of having a CCIE, it depends what you want to do
professionally.  I personally would gain no benefit from it, but I'm
principally a developer, designer, and author. Some of the skills,
though, are like the proverbial never forgetting how to ride a
bicycle--a friend called me a couple of weekends ago with an
EIGRP-OSPF conversion in complete chaos, and I straightened out the
network in about 3 hours, both configuring some routers myself and
telling others how to fix their configs.