As someone who has devoted a bit of time and more than a couple of dollars
pursuing certification, and as someone who has failed one lab attempt, and
as someone who collects good advice from CCIE's and others, I can no longer
resist opening my big mouth on this.

The CCIE Lab exam is a test. Nothing more. Nothing less. It has nothing to
do with good practice. It has nothing to do with real world.

Consider: Cisco wants you to be able to redistribute between any two
protocols. How do you test this, given the constraints of the lab?

Cisco wants you to understand routing protocol behaviour. How do you test
that? Do bizarre redistribution requirements and constraints provide just
such a means?

Cisco wants you to understand the implications of NMBA on Cisco routers. How
do you test that?

Cisco wants you to understand how OSPF works? How do you test that,
particularly in conjunction with NMBA?

Cisco wants you to understand how routing works. How do you test a
candidate's real understanding if you can fake your way through by using
static routes?

Cisco wants you to understand a number of alternative solutions to a number
of problems. So they create scenarios which require a number of alternatives
in order to complete correctly. Is this real world.? Is this good practice?

Any CCNA should be able to throw together a 10 router network over frame
relay, and get it to work. But who do you call when you have something out
of the ordinary you want to do? Suppose you have legacy protocols you want
to transition from? Suppose you are migrating from 3com to Cisco? Suppose
you are buying Cisco now, but in the past you bought 3com, Lucent, and
Nortel. And you don't want to spend the money to replace it all? Suppose you
acquire a company that runs RIPv1, and their address space overlaps your?
Who's gonna solve your problem?

The CCIE is not about passing a test. It is about becoming expert in routing
and networking. It is about learning how to learn. It is about
understanding, researching, thinking beyond the ordinary.

JMHO

Chuck