From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Kane, Christopher A.
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 6:08 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Is it really worth it? "CCIE" [7:5725]

I agree that a Cert is not necessarily who you are. I also agree that a Cert
doesn't mean you can troubleshoot nor does it mean that you are capable of
designing something that is clean and easily supportable. But, I feel the
Cert does have a value. It shows that you took the time to learn what
someone (presumably the vendor) suggested that you learn in order to better
understand the capabilities of their product. It shows that you've made the
effort to learn things that you don't normally deal with on a day-to-day
basis. If you are willing to constantly learn and grow not only adds to your
value as an employee, but also as a person.

Further, for those of us who did not finish school, it hopefully keeps the
recruiter from shutting the door in our face. I have had a great time in the
4 years that I have been in this field. I've received recognition from not
only my peers and immediate management, but also from senior directors. I've
gained vast amounts of experience, starting at the NOC level and working up
through the higher levels of support and engineering. Experience along with
the Cert/s, should allow me to at least talk to the IT group of a potential
new employer so that I may demonstrate what I am capable of. I've seen
things on this list that concern me. Such as HR personnel preferring to talk
to a CCNA rather than a CCNP because they've been told to find the CCNA and
are not aware of what a CCNP is. Until I can finish school, my chances of
gaining new employment (should I seek it) could be greatly diminished
without something else to show, such as the Cert.

A degree doesn't guarantee that you are a quality employee, nor does a Cert.
But I need all the ammo I can amass should the time come that I have to
polish the resume and start knocking on doors. Maybe the CCIE does contain
some outdated material and maybe it could use some tweaking, regardless, my
major concern lies on the dependence of Cisco to help maintain that
certification on the level of respect that it currently holds.

Thanks for the thread, this is a great discussion. I enjoy hearing the
opinions of other technicians/engineers.

Christopher A. Kane, CCNP
Senior Network Control Tech
Router Ops Center/Hilliard NOC
UUNET