The FastEthernet module only works on the 4500 & 4700s not on the 4000s.
Used prices are high.
He'll want multiple serial links on at least one box. The 4000 is a good
candidate. he can purchase another two port serial. I'm not sure if the 4000
supports the four port serial module.
He might want to purchase an Ethernet module for that box and trade it out
with the Token Ring as needed.
IMHO If you want a box in the 4000 series don't buy less than a 4500.