From: "Owned"
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: A post in alt.certification.cisco all should read [7:9286]

I think if they do drop the first day portion, it would probably be a much
better test in regards to a real world scenario.

Working as a 24/7 on call network engineer for a consulting firm, I rarely
get a chance to actually physically see a network before I get the call
"It's broken, please come and fix it now...oh, and by the way we're sorry
but we don't have any current documentation of our network."  At least in
the test if they give you what it's supposed to be in documentation you're
one step ahead of the game.

Unless you're a on staff network engineer working 9-5 at one location, who
knows the network by heart (and a quick phone call away from the TAC to back
you up), a blind one day pure troubleshooting exam would be the ultimate
test to qualify a true CCIExpert.

In fact the one day test would still most likely be EASIER than a real world
scenario, since in the test there aren't so many other variables to
consider, including hardware failure, multi-vendor installations and yes the
all popular end-user "modifications" :-) .

In the real world it's you against the network and the only person you can
depend on is yourself.  I have only three years in this field and my goal to
attain the CCIE is hopefully in my near future, but I want to earn the
certificate to represent not just my study and test taking skills but the
EXPERIENCE of many years hands on work.  A CCIE cert should NOT be
attainable by a canidate first, then used to go looking for a job...

Just my take... :-)

Owen Edwards
MCSE+I / CCDP / CCNP