Folks,

This is but one of the e-mails I have seen on the subject, I think it looks
very promising myself:

Hello,
My name is Lorne Braddock and I manage Cisco's CCIE program.  I wish to
address any rumors you may have heard about a so called "one-day" CCIE
certification lab.  The apparent absence of background information on our
new exam's enhanced quality and content has resulted in unwarranted concerns
about it's duration.

The CCIE Program team has been working hard to redesign, and greatly improve
our nine year old, performance based, certification format.  We have several
objectives in mind including improved: efficiency, relevance, effectiveness
and challenge.  We also want to properly position the CCIE level
certification content with that of the CCNA and CCNP certification tracks
which came into being well after the CCIE expert level program was
established.  From the standpoint of our exam architecture, we needed to
migrate toward a model that will scale to demand and position us to take
advantage of innovative delivery options that better utilize technology and
reduce the need for travel.  Primary among all these objectives is our
determination to maintain the legendary quality that is implicit in the CCIE
name and reputation.

We began the process by identifying those aspects of our current CCIE lab
exam that are effectively covered in Cisco's CCNA and CCNP certification
programs.  We also identified those skills that are tested several times
within the current exam.  Content was evaluated based upon the objective of
ensuring that we were sufficiently covering all relevant topics.  Where
appropriate, we shifted some of the lab's more fundamental, but still
necessary, questions into a new and expanded qualification exam.  The
objective here is to do a better job of screening out candidates who would
have passed the current written qualification test with no realistic hope of
passing the lab exam.

After strengthening the written qualification exam, eliminating duplication
and lower level tasks, we discovered that adding an additional hour of lab
time would allow us to deliver a higher quality CCIE lab exam in one
expanded day.  The overall testing process is reduced by far less than a day
yet there is no longer a need for customers to invest in a second travel
day.

There is no single consideration more important then the quality and
efficiency of this new exam so we have engaged several highly respected
industry notables in our beta testing process.  It's too early for me to
announce the outcome of that process but I will say that the initial signs
look very good.  We hope for and expect to get their constructive criticism
and plan to implement changes where necessary.  If all goes well we will be
in a position to move forward with this improved format in August.

In review, our new testing format is a vast departure from our traditional
approach in that it takes into account the existence of Cisco's CCNP and
CCNA certification programs.  There is no longer a need for the CCIE exam to
certify a customer's proficiency in the area of intermediate networking
skills.  Our charter is to certify at the expert level and we now assume
that, if the customer has passed our enhanced written qualification exam,
their fundamental skills exist.  By designing this recognition into our lab
exam, we can eliminate time consuming questions that test and give points
for demonstrating lower level skills.  If the customer does not have those
skills, they will simply fail the lab due to their inability to deal with
the pace and complexity of the enhanced CCIE lab exam.  Solid trouble
shooting skills are also a required part of the customer's ability to master
the enhanced lab exam so there is no longer the need to devote an entire
section to trouble shooting.  An individual who knows what they are doing
will find our enhanced lab exam quite challenging.  Someone who has yet to
fully develop their skills will find it impossible.  The net result of this
format is greater efficiency in testing coupled with greater respect for our
customer's time and resources.  We see that as a win for everybody.

Most people who are worried about the new CCIE lab exam format are concerned
about the ongoing integrity of our program.  Rest assured that no one cares
more about the integrity of the CCIE program than we do.  This new CCIE lab
exam embodies the best of what we have learned over the nine years this
program has been in existence and, from that perspective alone, it's the
best of the breed.  Importantly however, this new format also positions us
to do some innovative things going forward that would not be possible
without these changes.  The revised and improved format will position us to
handle the kind of exponential growth the CCIE program is seeing without
having to make another significant program change for years to come.  Proof
is always in the pudding so I welcome the opportunity to have our enhanced
CCIE lab exam evaluated objectively and on it's merits.