Following is a major excerpt from the e-mail sent from Cisco. As you can
see, the tack taken is that those on the CCNA/CCNP track should already have
skills that are currently covered in the CCIE lab.

It's no secret, and everyone who has been through the Lab will agree, that
there are certain tasks that fall into the BS / CS category. I am hopeful
that if this category is eliminated, then what is left will require a
demonstration of expertise, and that the Lab will remain every bit as
difficult and meaningful as it is today.

Chuck
--------------------
Begin excerpt from Cisco e-mail
> The CCIE Program team has been working hard to redesign, and greatly
improve
> our nine year old, performance based, certification format.  We have
several
> objectives in mind including improved: efficiency, relevance,
effectiveness
> and challenge.  We also want to properly position the CCIE level
> certification content with that of the CCNA and CCNP certification tracks
> which came into being well after the CCIE expert level program was
> established.  From the standpoint of our exam architecture, we needed to
> migrate toward a model that will scale to demand and position us to take
> advantage of innovative delivery options that better utilize technology
and
> reduce the need for travel.  Primary among all these objectives is our
> determination to maintain the legendary quality that is implicit in the
CCIE