Ooh, I like that idea.  From the sounds of it they want to make the
written more difficult that it is right now.  Adding reasonably complex
simulated scenarios would definitely help to achieve that goal.

After reading the post that started this all on
alt.certification.cisco, my primary worry is that they're going to water
down the test.  The market is already flooded with CCNAs and has quite a
large number of CCNPs, as well.  Let's hope they don't make the lab so
easy that the market gets flooded with CCIEs.  That would only cheapen
the value of the cert and I would *really* hate to see that happen.

Right now, as far as certifications go, CCIE is the Stanley Cup.  Too
bad I'm not Joe Sakic, Ray Bourque, or Patrick Roy.  :-)  Anyway.....
back to my point.  Getting the CCIE is really, really hard work.  It
takes dedication, committment, focus, and tenacity.  If you get it you
know you've accomplished something very substantial.  If the test is
watered down specifically to introduce more CCIEs to the market, then
the cert wouldn't retain its luster.

I really think if Cisco wanted to alleviate the backlog issue they
could just add more testing sites....like maybe one in Denver!
Seriously, I'm not sure I really see the need to change the exam format
except for Cisco to be able to cram twice as many people into the
existing exam sites and double their revenue.  Smart business decision
but it makes them look bad, I think.

But, who knows what they're going to do just yet.  I'll have to wait
along with everyone else to see how this pans out.  Perhaps it might be
time to think about pursuing that Juniper cert.  :-)

Regards,
John the Early Morning Rambler

>>> "Howard C. Berkowitz"  6/21/01 8:03:39 AM >>>
>it's all over the CCIE list. Cisco is going to a one day lab.
Speculation is
>that they are eliminating all the B.S.  and C.S. stuff. Some of us
are
>guessing that a candidate will walk into a router/switch pod that is
>preconfigured with the basic stuff, and that to prove your
CCIExpertise, you
>will have to accomplish advanced tasks like redistribution, adding
voice and
>VPN's, maybe adding BGP, and fixing a couple of complex bugs. Pure
>speculation at this point. I believe I read somewhere that Cisco will
be
>making a major announcement on the web site next week.
>
>Chuck

Far be it from me to suggest they would do something so sensible, but
wouldn't it help if they added simulation of the "basic stuff" on the
written (or maybe call it the pretest?)