Hi Chuck,

Surprised to hear that a Gold partner doesn't have access to IOS or TAC case
support. What's the reason for that? Is that a decision within your company
controlling who does what or from Cisco. Sorry - I don't know what your role
is in the company. I take it there are groups of people within your company
with this access.
I also work for a Gold Partner in post-sales support. We sort of take the
access we have for granted. There are certain guidelines, eg. at least 50%
of cases be raised by CCIE's, to ensure that faults are being progressed to
CCIE level before taking the soft option of a TAC case.
Just curious anyway.

Cheers,

Gaz

""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> Cisco's IOS is it's Crown Jewels, so to speak. So Cisco restricts who has
> access to the downloading of IOS software. Otherwise, why would anyone pay
> for the IOS, when they could download it for free?
>
> TAC is for paying customers. There are public areas to Cisco's TAC site,
but
> only paying customers can open cases. Otherwise, every wannabee on these
> mailing lists would be overwhelming TAC with requests for assistance. It
> must be bad enough when clueless customers call in ( once upon a time I
was
> a clueless customer myself ;-> ) Can you imagine the skyrocketing cost of
> support if list denizens had free access to TAC?
>
> I work for a Gold Partner, and I am not permitted to download IOS
software,
> nor am I allowed to open TAC cases. On the other hand, I can use the
> Partners' pre-sales support all I want. And I can get to a lot of the
> "customer" pages.
>
> Other than that, there is a tremendous amount of information that is
freely
> available. In almost every case, a web link that contains the word
> "customer" can be accessed without a login by substituting the work
"public"

> Chuck

CCIE
> > >does, but that's a different matter.  Instead, why don't you sign up
with
> > >the consultant program?  It's free and you will get a CCO account.
> >
> > I signed up for the consultant program and can't get access to the
private
> > stuff that you guys (and gals) post sometimes. Are you sure this
> consultant
> > program still exists? I never got anything from it. I think I got one
> > newsletter maybe.
> >
> > Priscilla
> >
> > >  You
> > >can't download any software with this account but you will gain access
> > >the private documents, resources, etc.
> > >
> > >---
> > >Rik Guyler

CCO