I'm going to answer my own message. I was afraid I shot Ejay down too
quickly. ;-] One remaining question is whether receiving a broadcast in an
unsupported frame format causes a CPU interrupt. I said it would because I
know that was the case with some implementations I worked on, but that was
a long time ago. The real answer is that it depends on the Ethernet chip
set, the driver software, and the operating system. The driver tells the
Ethernet chip set which frame formats (and which multicasts) to listen to.
A smart chip set would not pass anything else up. But, my experience has
been that chip sets aren't smart. They pass unsupported frame types and
some chip sets even pass multicasts for which the host is not registered.

The definite answer is that the broadcast would disturb the station
(counting the NIC as part of the station). To avoid that, you would have to
move the station to a different physical broadcast domain (other side of a
router) or different virtual broadcast domain (VLAN).

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com