At 04:29 PM 7/12/01, Hire, Ejay wrote:
>Perhaps I was unclear by my meaning.
>A station running Ethernet II that receives a ethernet_Snap frame discards
>it.  It is unintelligible.

The broadcast generates an interrupt though. Broadcast domains are not
relevant to the question. Get them out of your head. ;-) The only things
that can stop broadcasts are routers and VLANs. It has nothing to do with
frame types.

>This is was what I meant by being in separate broadcast domains.  A router
>or server advertising services to more than one frame type has to generate a
>separate advertisement broadcast for every frame type, thusly It is
>reasonable to say that each frame type creates a separate broadcast domain.
>(Same wire, separate domains.)

That's not what is normally meant by a broadcast domain.

Any station on the same switched or repeated network hears each of the
broadcasts. If the device were on the other side of a router or in a
different VLAN, it wouldn't hear them. The device would be in a different
broadcast domain.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com