I've configured a point-to-point GRE tunnel between two routers.  Works fine
with static routes, however, once I turn on RIP I get the following in about
30 seconds.

%TUN-5-RECURDOWN: Tunnel0 temporarily disabled due to recursive routing
1d01h: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Tunnel0, changed
state to
 down

I've read about the recursive routing problem with IP in IP, can someone
explain exactly why this is happening?  Also, what is the solution.

thanks,
Mike