I guess you're not aware of Canada's reputation as being a haven for
murderers and terrorists.  Once these people are here, we can't deport them
because of goofy Canadian politics.  When these people come into Canada,
Canada has a responsibility to ensure these people don't have undesirable
backgrounds.  Then when they're here, it's easy for them to get forged
documents indicating that they are Canadian citizens.  That makes the US
immigration department's job more difficult because of the free flowing
policy of letting Canadians pass through the US border with a minimum of
background checking.  It's the freedom that Canada enjoys with the US that's
at risk unless our Government steps up to the plate and tightens things up.
How often have you heard after the fact that Canada Immigration didn't
investigate into people's backgrounds properly?  Far too often I'm afraid.

It wasn't the Canadian immigration department that stopped the guy heading
into the US to blow up LAX on the millenium... it was the US immigration
department.