From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Robert Hanley
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 10:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RANT Longish, Why Cisco and not ...!!! [7:19933]

Chuck & group;

So, all this is understood about certs & why, etc...; and anyone who has
participated in this list for any length of time has seen the same ground
covered as Chuck covered below. I've been following this list and
participating as time permitted since about June 1999. So I know the deal.

I will continue to seek Cisco certifications for two primary reasons:

1. I may need those credentials if I find myself back out in the larger job
market in the future. Especially as a consultant called on both to evaluate
existing networks and propose changes or upgrades be they piecemeal or
forklifted, but also to write, respond to and review responses to RFPs &
RFIs. All this with a view toward providing my client with an end result
that best meets their needs. Regardless of what the vendors are pushing.

2. It enhances my credibility in my current role as a Nortel SE with
customers when I need to critique Cisco's designs and or proposals, and my
ability to understand what they may propose, and why.

So there is more to this than knowing commands, though that may be critical
if one wants to stay strictly "hands on". There is much more to this
business, however; and I think studying the merits and weaknesses of
different vendors' gear helps to round us all out, and to provide solutions
to problems. Not just the Cisco way, or the Nortel way, or any one vendor's
way. But the way that provides the greatest value to our clients and
corporations.

If we work for Cisco, or Nortel, or any vendor; it gives us an opportunity
to understand our strengths and weaknesses and to provide feedback to the
people who develop products to make them better.

There is always room on this list for people who want to know how to solve a
work related problem, or to express political opinions as has been done this
past week. I think if people don't want to engage in this type of discussion
they should use the Delete Key, not the "this is a Cisco List" crutch;
thereby discouraging honest and constructive dialog. If you don't like it
don't participate, but don't keep other people from learning something.

There have also been occasions when people have asked for help interfacing
Nortel and Cisco gear when I have been happy to help and will certainly
continue to do so. No matter how misunderstood the gear or my intentions may
be.

But again, the only reason I gave the URL for the Nortel cert, was because
Dan Faulk asked for it. Not that he expected there was any possible answer
of any merit, or that he took a look. But maybe someone else did, and maybe
it will help them to advance their career.

Learning is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

That doesn't mean we want to find out how ignorant we are.

But it may mean that we need to.

Go in peace...and keep your head down.