such a pissing contest for chrissakes? Being a New Yorker I enjoy the give &
take. We say f*ck you to each other the way most people say good morning. But
pig-headed barely covers it here. Your words not mine Dan.

First, three things:
Dan;
1. Please don't use my work email address, it is for work only. That was not
the point of origin of my message, it was in the header, I know. No hard
feelings. Just please don't use it.
2. Why this at least somewhat reasonable reply only to me personally, and
that
ridiculous post to the list ?
3. Lighten up man. This is neither religion, politics, or sex. Rather than
getting a job bagging groceries, why don't you relax and enjoy the
opportunity
to learn about something new and enhance your career? My warnings about the
impending obsolescence of software based routers as such was not intended as
an insult, but as a heads up. One would think smart folks like those on this
list would want to be hip to "the next big thing" as Chuck said. Meanwhile
understanding routing and protocols is just as important as ever and will
continue to be, so your efforts are hardly wasted. But IOS as such has become
a limitation to engineering distributed systems which are key to getting away
from purely software based boxes.

Your sarcasm and anal aggressive attitude notwithstanding, you do bring up
some interesting points that I think deserve discussion amongst the broader
list so I'm forwarding this along whether you want the list to know you can
actually behave like a reasonable human being or not. This does not require a
reply on your part btw, unless you genuinely want to add something
constructive.

Dan stated: "Of course we want solid Cisco shops !" This finally gets down to
the nitty gritty of it doesn't it ?

What if doing it strictly the Cisco way leaves you with a network that is far
more complex than it needs to be, doesn't scale, (or at best only scales at
huge additional expense), and performs poorly on a day to day basis? As an
engineer wouldn't you want to arrive at a solution that best serves your
companies or clients needs? How does having a sub-par network make your life
easier? How many Cisco clients have put in switched networks and found no
improvement? Why was there no improvement? (starts with an r...ends with a
call to Nortel...sorry I couldn't resist (1-800-4-Nortel btw)) (that was
humor)

If you can't implement a 2 layer campus switched network with gig-e risers
and
100Mb to the desktops because a pair of Cat6500s can't scale to service all
those closets, what do you do? Add a whole extra layer? If you have to
interconnect campuses, what do we call the layer that used to be called the
core that is now L2 only since the performance of our "Core" Cat 6500s
plummets if we turn on L3? What if you could just enable routing on the ports
feeding the risers with no penalty in throughput, and no add-on hardware
required? (what a concept ! ..pretty cool huh? Lets start a company!)
Personally I would want to have those options if I was designing a network.
Lastly what do we do if our "Core" connects to the rest of our corporate
network via optical ethernet and we need one L3 port in our L2 only Core ???
Add another Layer ? How many Cat 6500s do we need in that layer to have
redundant links to all the switches in the layer above that can't be
connected
to each other because of spanning tree issues ? I can understand John
Chambers
wanting to push a few extra boxes on his loyal customers, but this is getting
downright scary! I'm reminded of the Wall St. firm that couldn't implement
the
network Cisco designed for them (all Cat6500s, everywhere) because the
building management said they would have to vacate three floors in the
building to provide enough power. Is this stuff becoming relevant yet ?

Most of the firms and agencies I have consulted at in the past and work with
today use a variety of different systems depending on what serves their
purposes and requirements best. Not just in networking equipment, but in
systems too; both platform types and network operating systems. All too often
the shops that won't consider anything but one brand do so because they
either
lack the expertise in house to properly evaluate and engineer the
alternatives
or their technology decisions are being made by upper management without
consulting the knowledgeable people they do have on staff, very often to the
chagrin of those who must implement and maintain it. Believe me I've watched
many a train wreck in progress, and it's very difficult to bear when you are
the sort of person who tries to do things properly.

Aside from my current responsibilities as a Nortel SE I have no particular
preferences and can honestly say that if I were consulting again I would
recommend a solution that would best meet my client's criteria, and make sure
they understood the trade-offs they were making. If their primary criteria
was
maintaining a single vendor solution and the already have crisco up the
wazoo,
so be it. It's their wazoo, right ? But what if cost is their secondary
consideration, and redundancy is right up there too? That could change the
game entirely, and often does. What if they will want to sue the consultant
if
when I'm done building to their criteria the network still sucks?

As for the maturity or lack thereof and the progress of optical networking.
I'll just say a word to the wise is usually sufficient.

And what the hey, a link might be useful.
http://www.metroethernetforum.org/

Go in peace...and keep your head down.