Yes, these cables have different pinouts.  Take a look at the following
link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/knowledge/pinouts/

If that link doesn't get filtered by the list filters then you'll be
able to see the differences.

As far as connecting two routers using two V.35 cables, if one is male
and the other is female then you probably have a DCE and a DTE cable.
The router that you connect the DCE cable to will have to be configured
to provide clocking.  You cannot configure a clockrate on the DTE side.

I don't know how familiar you are with ethernet cabling but you can
relate this to straight-thru and crossover ethernet cables.  When you
directly connect two PCs or routers without a hub or switch then you
have to use a crossover cable.  The transmit side of one device has to
match up with the receive side on the other and vice versa.  This is why
there are DCE and DTE versions of serial cables.

If you're connecting two routers directly together you must use a
crossover serial cable so that the transmit and receive pins all match
up correctly.

HTH,
John

>>> "Sam Deckert"  10/25/01 7:21:13 AM >>>
Thanks Tim, that was great!

So, a special db60-db60 cable can be used for back-to-back connections,
and
will work as long as one router is set to be the DCE and provide a
clockrate.  Does this cable have any special pinouts or anything?  Is
there
a diagram somewhere?  Did a search on google, no luck tho!

Also, would a setup with two V.35 cables (one male, one female)
connected
together between two routers work in the same way?

Thanks for your help!

Sam.