Another handy dandy command to see whats connected is:

3660A#sh controller ser 3/3
M4T: show controller:
PAS unit 3, subunit 3, f/w version 1-45, rev ID 0x2800001, version 2
idb = 0x621ECF4C, ds = 0x621EEC04, ssb=0x621EEEDC
Clock mux=0x0, ucmd_ctrl=0x0, port_status=0xC
Serial config=0x8, line config=0x200
maxdgram=1608, bufpool=48Kb, 31 particles
     DCD=down  DSR=down  DTR=down  RTS=down  CTS=down
line state: down
cable type : V.35 DCE cable, received clockrate 246

base0 registers=0x3D800000, base1 registers=0x3D802000
mxt_ds=0x62638504, rx ring entries=40, tx ring entries=128
rxring=0x56ABB80, rxr shadow=0x621F4C88, rx_head=0
txring=0x56ABD00, txr shadow=0x621F4E94, tx_head=0, tx_tail=0,
tx_count=0
throttled=0, enabled=0
rx_no_eop_err=0, rx_no_stp_err=0, rx_no_eop_stp_err=0
rx_no_buf=0, rx_soft_overrun_err=0, dump_err= 0, bogus=0, mxt_flags=0x20
tx_underrun_err=0, tx_soft_underrun_err=0, tx_limited=1(2)
tx_fullring=0, tx_started=0

  I have a DCE on this interface.

  Dave

Chuck Larrieu wrote:

> that started with the 12.x releases, I believe.
>
> in 11.x one could enter the clockrate on a DTE interface, but the command
> would not show up in the running config. Later, if one were to plug a DCE
> cable into that interface, the clock rate  command magically appeared!
Cisco