Well, please correct me if I am wrong.  As my understanding, MLS is the main
feature of Layer 3 switch (5000, 6000, 6500... not sure 4000 products).  MLS
allows hosts on different subnets talking at the wire speed after initially
routed by the route processor.  After that, MAC of these hosts and the flow
is added on the MLS cache table; therefore these hosts can tranfer packets
with no further routing needed (at layer 2).  Without MLS enabled, all
packets to/from host on different hosts have to be routed with the Route
Processor (MSFC or RPM...) and therefore got bottleneck there.

""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> Can't say I've tried that.  First question, why is MLS sooo important
> that you feel you must do this??  There are legitimate reasons for MLS
> but I see to many people turn knob only because they are there:(
>
>   That aside I don't think you can.  On the external devices on which
> you can do this your terminating the trunk on a routed interface whereas
> on the 6509 the trunk terminates on a layer 2 interface if you follow my
> thinking.
>
>   Dave
>
> Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Okie,
> >
> > Here is my CAT 4006 specs and topology.  My 4006 has a Supervisor Engine
II