Your correct, in fact MLS is enabled by default on the 6500.  Main
feature of a 5000, I don't think.  I have seen people enable MLS on
networks that were not even breaking a sweat, why?  because they could
and I'm simply saying that is not a good reason as I have fought to many
MLS bugs to simply turn it on without good reason.

  Years ago there were many bugs in ip route-cache, (fast swithing)
which hardly anyone thinks about anymore and someday MLS will be the
same.  I you need a feature by all means use it but don't over engineer
a network cause you can.

  Dave

"Thomas N." wrote:

> Well, please correct me if I am wrong.  As my understanding, MLS is the
main
> feature of Layer 3 switch (5000, 6000, 6500... not sure 4000 products).
MLS
> allows hosts on different subnets talking at the wire speed after initially
> routed by the route processor.  After that, MAC of these hosts and the flow
> is added on the MLS cache table; therefore these hosts can tranfer packets
> with no further routing needed (at layer 2).  Without MLS enabled, all
> packets to/from host on different hosts have to be routed with the Route
> Processor (MSFC or RPM...) and therefore got bottleneck there.
>
> ""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> > Can't say I've tried that.  First question, why is MLS sooo important
> > that you feel you must do this??  There are legitimate reasons for MLS
> > but I see to many people turn knob only because they are there:(
> >
> >   That aside I don't think you can.  On the external devices on which
> > you can do this your terminating the trunk on a routed interface whereas
> > on the 6509 the trunk terminates on a layer 2 interface if you follow my
> > thinking.
> >
> >   Dave
> >
> > Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > Okie,
> > >
> > > Here is my CAT 4006 specs and topology.  My 4006 has a Supervisor
Engine