High maintenance as in, there is a hdd, if it fails it is a pain
in the butt to get your colocation guy to pull it out.  Or have fun flying
down there.  It will cost money to do that, plus hdds will more likely fail
than say a flash card.  You COULD run FreeBSD on a flash card, but
ultimately, doing all of this, configuring the system so it can handle a
cyclades serial card, is a lot of work especially for people new to
unix.  I do not even want to get started on updating the software and what
not.  Not a problem for a unix administrator, but I get a feeling (sadly)
there are very few good multi-classed hybrids who know unix and
cisco.  This is why people buy precanned solutions.  So this is why I call
it "high maintenance".  There is also a high foot print (learning curve) to
get it started compared to the Cisco product which he already knows how to
use fluently.
         Cyclades sells serial cards AND terminal servers.  He might be
able to just buy one of their terminal servers for about $2200 each.  I
never used them though.  The serial cards he needs is maybe (with the 16
port box) about $800.  Add that to a rackmount 1U PC using cheap parts for
about $600, he is only at $1400 with a flexible box.  Add the cost factor
of setting it up, that is going to vary per builder's skill level in Unix
and building PCs.  Pricing is all relative.
         Well, depending on how much you trust your switch and if you can
prevent arp spoofing, telnet to an cisco 2511RJ on the same switch might
"NOT" be so bad.  Then we are talking about maybe $500-600 (checkout dell's
1U racks).

At 01:42 PM 11/21/01 -0500, Patrick Ramsey wrote:
>It's not THAT high maintenance... I mean...how often have yo urebooted any
>linux/bsd box?  : )
>
>But cyclades are not cheap!  : (

>Although this would be considered "high maintenance", you could
>think about a FreeBSD box with a Cyclades serial card.  (you can get enough
>to handle A LOT more than 16 serial ports if you need it)  You could get
>the BSD box in a 1U format.  It supports ssh and telnet.  The problem here
>is you would have to jimmy up your own cables.  (just know the pinouts from
>the serial port to the console)  The cyclades has some RJ45 outputs you
>could use, but you would need the right pin outs.  Then you can use "cu" to
>console in to any box.
>
>At 01:04 PM 11/21/01 -0500, Gaz wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I currently use a 2511 RJ Terminal Server on a site with dial up access
> >through a modem. Ten pieces of Cisco equipment are then configured using
> >reverse telnet to their consoles.
> >Someone's thrown a spanner in the works. We now need to use something such
> >as SSH to the Terminal Server.
> >The 2500 doesn't support it. The nearest I could think of was a 2610 with
an
> >NM16A (16 port Async) module. Unfortunately to run a decent version of
code
> >with DES (for SSH support) this needs a DRAM and Flash upgrade.
> >There isn't as far as I can find, a 16 port RJ45 Asynchronous module
(closer
> >replacement for the 2511RJ), so we need two octal cables.
> >
> >Total Price around #4500 as opposed to around #1800 for the 2511RJ.
> >2511's always seemed a bit steep for this job, but using a 2610 for it
seems
> >to be even more so, even though the 2610 itself is only #1100. I think all
> >this still only gives me SSH version 1.
> >
> >Does anybody have any ideas for suitable replacements. Space is a concern,
> >but I am thinking about putting a 1U server in there to do the same job
if I
> >can source a 16 port serial card that fits, and I'm also looking at
whether
> >Shiva are still in the market. All ideas accepted gladly, but this does
have
> >to get past a security board. I don't want full solutions, just asking for
> >brief ideas.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Gaz
>-Carroll Kong