Thanks for all the suggestions. Linux does seem to win for most cases.
I do have the dilemma that this a solution that may be used at many sites
and ideally needs to be a small, neat, rack mounted affair.
Once we get into the realms of buying 1U servers for the linux as well as
2511, it's getting to the point where the difference in money to step to a
2610 is not that great. Or at least probably not great enough to compensate
for the difference in neatness/engineering required to install etc

Thanks for the info everyone.

Gaz