It's for testing purposes. There are lots of testing situations when you
want an interface to act like it's up even if it's not sending any packets.

This isn't a case where we can do our normal thing of treating people who
ask questions like they are dumb butts. Sorry, long day.

Check this out!

charlotte#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
charlotte(config)#int s0
charlotte(config-if)#no keep
charlotte(config-if)#loopback
charlotte(config-if)#end
charlotte#
%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
charlotte#
charlotte#
charlotte#show int s0
Serial0 is up, line protocol is up
   Hardware is MCI Serial
   Internet address is 192.168.40.2 255.255.255.0
   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
   Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback set, keepalive not set
   Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 0/0, interface broadcasts 29
   Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
      69 packets input, 3077 bytes, 0 no buffer
      Received 2 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
      3 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 3 abort
      74 packets output, 3708 bytes, 0 underruns
      0 output errors, 0 collisions, 6 interface resets, 0 restarts
      9 carrier transitions

Of course, I doubt that my lab of MGS routers resembles anything in the
real world! ;-)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com