to add a couple of cents worth of observations here, one can have an
undetermined number of secondary addresses on an interface. I used to use
secondaries indiscriminantly when trying to emulate huge networks on a three
router pod. this was before I discovered the joys of loopbacks. We have had
a couple of discussions here lately about gotchas when using secondary
addressing.

IP subinterfaces in the Cisco world are limited to routers and IOS versions
that support ISL/802.1q trunking, for inter VLAN routing. Not too lonmg ago
Cisco supported this only on 100 mbs ful duplex interfaces. Recently,
however, cisco expanded support to the 2610 router and the 10 mbs port on
that device.

One can do IPX subinterfaces on a 25xx router. Each subinterface must have a
different IPX encapsulation type.

subinterfaces take up IDB's. Although recent IOS versions have greatly
increased the number of IDB's supported, it is possible that you could run
into that particular limitation. I do not know if secondary addressing uses
any of these kinds of resources.

when working with secondary addresses, one must be aware of split horizon.
Again, we have had some discussion here about isues with various routing
protocols and routing.

I have not done any testing of subinterface / split horizon issues becasue,
as stated earlier, IP subinterfaces are not supported AFAIK on the 25xx
routers that are the mainstay of my test lab.

HTH

Chuck

""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> In a secondary interface, you can have 1 interface with 2
addresses/subnets.