If you are going to a Catalyst you can set up the interface as either an
802.1Q or ISL trunk and put as many VLANs across it as you like.  Instead of
having to do secondary addresses you simply create subinterfaces.  I did
this with my 1751 at home trunking to my 2924XL using 802.1Q encapsulation
(1751 doesn't support ISL) and it works like a charm.

--
James D. Wilson, CCDA, MCP
Sr. Network/Security Engineer